For A little bit of everything -- "Curiouser and Curiouser" Click here to visit me on Bonanza WonderlandShoppe or click here to visit me on Etsy WonderlandShoppe

Friday, August 3, 2012

John Deere Harvesting

I was thrilled to spot the Amber Waves Harvesting crew out our front window working away cutting and harvesting Spring wheat on August 2, 2012.
My kids thought I was crazy stopping to snap photos of the big green machines chomping away in the fields and stirring up wheat dust as they kept in rhythm working away.
Hope you enjoy these photos. I think they are massive. My daughter, Savannah Rose, asked "Mama, how did they harvest the wheat before these machines were made?" I told her by hands. Made me think of Little House on the Prairie shows.
A little research also shows that a tool called a Scythe was used to harvest wheat before machines were used.
From Wikipedia: A scythe is an agricultural hand tool for mowing grass, or reaping crops. It was largely replaced by horse-drawn and then tractor machinery, but is still used in some areas of Europe and Asia. The Grim Reaper and Death are often depicted carrying or wielding a scythe. (I hadn't even remembered this last part until reading it again.)-- So I am learning and relearning all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boden
New Lower Prices & Smaller, More Affordable Quantities @ Amy Adele!