For A little bit of everything -- "Curiouser and Curiouser" Click here to visit me on Bonanza WonderlandShoppe or click here to visit me on Etsy WonderlandShoppe

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Extra Passenger



On a recent trip -- supposed fishing outing -- this character rode on my windshield approximately 100 miles. I pulled out the digital camera and he let me have a photo shoot on the hood of our van.

I posted his picture on Facebook and my aunt responded, "Keep him on your side of the mountains, we have enough already".

I find the details on him fascinating. I also loved his coloring. My little extra passenger eventually lept away on his further travels. I haven't heard him around. There were many at the dam we explored making much noise, so much so, my youngest who fears bees and buzzing was somewhat scared.



The National Geographic had this information: Locusts are related to grasshoppers and the two insects look similar. However, locust behavior can be something else entirely. Locusts are sometimes solitary insects with lifestyles much like grasshoppers. But locusts have another behavioral phase called the gregarious phase. When environmental conditions produce many green plants and promote breeding, locusts can congregate into thick, mobile, ravenous swarms.

Now we are into fall and sweaters are out, I am sure these critters have taken flight elsewhere. They have traveled over the mountains headed for warmer climates, leaving Montana for greener scenery.

1 comment:

  1. Yea, the critters are here where it is still warm, thanks. But of course, we have them all the time it seems like. These and the Cicadas are why I sleep with ear plugs, lol.

    Love your trips and stories.
    Thanks,
    Tina

    ReplyDelete

Boden
New Lower Prices & Smaller, More Affordable Quantities @ Amy Adele!