For A little bit of everything -- "Curiouser and Curiouser" Click here to visit me on Bonanza WonderlandShoppe or click here to visit me on Etsy WonderlandShoppe

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Making Flowers

Thought I would post about some blocks I have just finished up. Two of them are the same pattern -- called Distelfink. I did some checking on what a Distelfink is and came up with this information: "A distelfink is a stylized goldfinch, probably based on the European variety. It frequently appears in Pennsylvania Dutch folk art. They represent happiness and good fortune and the Pennsylvania German nation, and they are a common theme in hex signs and in fraktur. The word 'distelfink' (literally 'thistle-finch') is the German name for the European goldfinch."
These two blocks were hand-stitched around the edges. Haven't done very much cross-stitch over the years but I did prefer it to a satin stitch I am using on a different piece. The satin stitch has me wondering if I will ever finish the block, but I am stubborn and can see the end in sight. That one will be posted once it is completed. See the flowers? -- tulips, and many different ones in the fabric pieces.
This next one I completed on the sewing machine on a hot lazy Sunday afternoon. It is called a Lancaster Rose pattern. I know many more of these are in my future as I like how fast it came together. I used to think sewing/quilting was something to do to stay inside when the snow was falling outside, but with the hot temperatures this early in the summer, it may be my year round pleasure for 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boden
New Lower Prices & Smaller, More Affordable Quantities @ Amy Adele!