For A little bit of everything -- "Curiouser and Curiouser" Click here to visit me on Bonanza WonderlandShoppe or click here to visit me on Etsy WonderlandShoppe

Friday, February 5, 2010

When I Am an Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple



I have always loved this poem and have felt a little lately like age is slipping up on me. So I decided I wanted a drastic change and something to perk me up! Well, what do you think? Does red look like a drastic change on me? My kids are still trying to get used to it.


Warning - When I Am an Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple

By Jenny Joseph

When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple

with a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.

And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves

and satin candles, and say we've no money for butter.

I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tired

and gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells

and run my stick along the public railings

and make up for the sobriety of my youth.

I shall go out in my slippers in the rain

and pick the flowers in other people's gardens

and learn to spit.



You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat

and eat three pounds of sausages at a go

or only bread and pickles for a week

and hoard pens and pencils and beer nuts and things in boxes.



But now we must have clothes that keep us dry

and pay our rent and not swear in the street

and set a good example for the children.

We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?

So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised

When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT!!!!!! I think you look better as a redhead than a blonde!!!!! I can't see your eyes real well but it looks like the red makes them pop!!!! This is the best hair color I think I've seen on you and I like the cut also! Now that you changed it I will tell you I really didn't like the really tight blonde curls on you that Fred liked. I thought it kind of looked poodle-ish, but your man was happy so that's what counted. I also like the purple on you with the red hair! I wonder how I would look as a redhead??? LOL! You look so good!!!! I wish you were here so I could see you in person. I miss you guys :(

    Twila.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the red looks great! I'd keep it if I were you. -- Cousin Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alice, you are definitely blond, who is this red headed woman???? If the kids are having trouble adjusting what about Fred????? He's probably enjoying it,LOL! Excuse me, but aren't you early 40's? You are in your prime or at least I would have to say so being AHEM a bit older,LOL! If you could just see the pic on my new Tn State picture Id card you would know what I am talking about. I look exactly like Casper's the Ghost's grandmother, yep! Surely I am not that person, but I guess I must be. Mary is urging me to "fix up" and hair dye is included but I haven't yet as I hate the inevitable "roots" to be concerned with. --Judith

    ReplyDelete

Boden
New Lower Prices & Smaller, More Affordable Quantities @ Amy Adele!