For A little bit of everything -- "Curiouser and Curiouser" Click here to visit me on Bonanza WonderlandShoppe or click here to visit me on Etsy WonderlandShoppe

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Projects for June 2011



I work at a local therapeutic group home for kids ranging in age from 13 to 18. We have up to six residents at a time. Due to the rainfall being continuously keeping them indoors, the kids have been putting together puzzles, playing card games, and watching DVD's I take in for them. Their attention spans are usually pretty short and reading is not one of their favorite things to do. Since I work overnights midnight to 8 a.m., the kids know that I bring along embroidery pieces to work on. I was asked a while back by one of the boys if I could create for him a logo on a pillow of the MSU Bobcats. This was interesting to do as it is hard to print one out online as they are owned. I was able to get a faint one and laid it directly on my fabric and then did a trace outline on my sewing machine. From there I did a hand loop stitch and completed his request. I was able to put a big grin on a 13 year old. From there he then asked if I could make him a pattern on fabric to learn to stitch. I chose a horse for him and he decided he would make it for his mother. His stitches were big but he was pleased and I turned his project into a wall hanging to give to her. Now he has followed my instruction and completed 3 more patterns which I will be making into tote bags for his 3 younger sisters.



From his interest, then 2 other girls in the home have requested patterns to stitch. One is a young pregnant 16 year old and wants a jungle theme quilt top for her baby. I put most of the center of the quilt together and drew the patterns for her to stitch. I have a feeling she will not be completing her project, but we will see.



Another girl is soon to be 17 and she has completed two patterns in a days time. Now she is requesting a ladybug fabric panel to do for her mother. So I must close for now and find a pattern to give to her to work on tomorrow.

These kids are keeping me busy. One staff member told me recently that we are not there to "entertain" them. I don't know if this is what I am doing or not, but I do know they are happy and feeling a sense of accomplishment. Also, it is making their time go by faster and the other staff are happy they have something to do.



This last picture is of a baby quilt (raw edge circle) I finished and mailed to Ashland, OR to a young lady I used to be a "nanny-type" person in her life over 18 years ago. She just had her first baby. I am happy for her, but it makes me feel a little old when I think of how much time has passed by from my years with her. She was sweet and wrote me that she remembers I taught her all the words to the song "When You Wish Upon a Star". It is funny the things people remember about each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boden
New Lower Prices & Smaller, More Affordable Quantities @ Amy Adele!