For A little bit of everything -- "Curiouser and Curiouser" Click here to visit me on Bonanza WonderlandShoppe or click here to visit me on Etsy WonderlandShoppe

Monday, May 21, 2012

Old Fashion Girl Reading

"I love old books. They tell you stories about their use. You can see where the fingerprints touched the pages as they held the book open. You can see how long they lingered on each page by the finger stains." Jack Bowman quote See how this book's first stamp is showing as November 1959. That was nine years before I was born. Now, on the back cover is a scanning stamp for readers of the present to use and check out. Wonder how many times a year this classic is picked up in this small town?
My kids and I visit the local small town library nearly every week. Last week my daughter, Savannah Rose, brought the book above to me and said, "Mom, you would love reading this book. It is old. It is by a wonderful author. I know you will love it." So on my 12 hour shift last night after everyone in personal care was sleeping, I opened and did not put it down except when completing my duties and morning preparations before leaving work. I tried to read it before going to sleep but my eyes would not let me. So after a sleep of 5 hours, I told the kids I was finishing it before feeding them. They kept asking are you at the end (page 328) yet? My son, Wynston, even took it upon himself to prepare lunch for us.
I did finish this wonderful book by such a well known author, Louisa May Alcott. Recently, I also discovered a DVD on Youtube and could not stop watching it till finished. Come to find out it was based on a book she wrote that was not published till 1997 but originally written in 1849 called The Inheritance. I love the movie and ended up finding it on Ebay and purchasing. It is now one of my favorites to sit and listen to while doing embroidery during my overnight work shifts. So, if you want a good read, check out Louisa May Alcott's works. Girls and women of all ages will enjoy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boden
New Lower Prices & Smaller, More Affordable Quantities @ Amy Adele!