For A little bit of everything -- "Curiouser and Curiouser" Click here to visit me on Bonanza WonderlandShoppe or click here to visit me on Etsy WonderlandShoppe

Sunday, August 7, 2011

A Promise Brings A Smile



My family recently got to take a vacation. An actual vacation where we went some where; got away from it all; got away from the same old 4 walls we see day in day out. We packed up suitcases and headed down the road to Yellowstone National Park and then ended our week by driving the "Going to the Sun" Road in Glacier National Park. Those pictures and blogs are to follow.



Before I left on this vacation, I had a young lady (17 years old) from the group home embroidery some pieces that I told her I would turn into a quilted throw for her. This project took her some time complete and she was sad to find that I would be gone for the week and she would not have her finished item back right away. (She has issues with patience and her mental capacity is lower than her age). I made her a promise that I would have it finished when I returned on my first shift back.

So after packing in a full week and being very tired, I practically tied myself to my sewing chair and put her top together on Saturday and then spent much of Sunday doing the sewing machine quilting and hemming to finish her throw. I arrived at work at 11:45 p.m. and she was up the stairs by 12:10 a.m. wondering if I had kept my promise. Since the other staff person was still filling me in on happenings around the home and with the residents, this young lady acted like she had a headache. We talked with her and then let her have her quilted throw. The smile on her face was well worth the effort to complete this project. In a time when these kids feel no one keeps promises, I feel it is very important to show them there are people who do care and will go the extra mile. It also makes them feel they are worth something.

Also, the 13 year old boy I taught to embroidery and made pillows and tote bags for him and his siblings left while I was on vacation. I noticed he took his zippy bag with a project he was working on as well as some of my threads, hoop and needle. I hope he will remember and keep his hobby up or find something else that brings him an accomplished feeling. My prayers and wishes are his home life will come together for him to continue to grow and thrive positively.

I am still smiling because I have this girl's face planted in my memory with her bright smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boden
New Lower Prices & Smaller, More Affordable Quantities @ Amy Adele!