For A little bit of everything -- "Curiouser and Curiouser" Click here to visit me on Bonanza WonderlandShoppe or click here to visit me on Etsy WonderlandShoppe

Saturday, April 14, 2012

A Visit with Sara Jo



Memories, how precious they are. I hope to never lose them.

Just this week I was at our rented storage shed rummaging through boxes looking for one particular book (which ended up being on our bookshelf at home). I ran across a stain, tattered, folded index card. Upon opening it my heart jumped. The recipe is that of a sweet lady that meant so much to me. She passed away unexpectedly over 3 years ago. Her name was Sara Jo. She was known to me as a sister-in-law. While growing up and during my teenage years, she always treated me as a person with a mind, a person of substance. I can't say I felt that way with most of my "relatives" in the foster home (from age 4 to 21).

Even when I took my major departure from the South at the age of 21, Sara Jo was the one who always wrote me long letters of family and church events. She was consistent and I always responded. We were truly pen pals.



Sara Jo was a very godly and totally family oriented soul. That was all she lived for. At many family and church social activities where food was brought and shared, she was known for her green bean casserole, her deviled eggs, her spiced apple cake and her pineapple pies.

I remember asking her for her recipes for the spiced apple cake and pineapple pie. I also remember when I got the one for the cake, I thought 'there are so many steps' and I folded it up and put it somewhere. I know I shall run across is someday and then I will take the time to prepare one no matter how much preparation there is. It will be worth it and bring Sara Jo back into mind as fresh as she is today.



I took her recipe card and prepared two pies as instructed. I have already had my family sample a taste from the spoon. Tears came to my eyes when I tasted mine. I miss her and the connection we had. People who know me and my upbringing know that I do not show emotion very often, but this has been one of those days with Sara Jo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boden
New Lower Prices & Smaller, More Affordable Quantities @ Amy Adele!