For A little bit of everything -- "Curiouser and Curiouser" Click here to visit me on Bonanza WonderlandShoppe or click here to visit me on Etsy WonderlandShoppe

Friday, February 13, 2009

Sew Much Fabric -- So Little Time

Here is a picture of my newest finished embroidery piece, a Claddagh inspired (Irish design) as found at http://triciarennea.blogspot.com/

The Claddagh's distinctive design features two hands clasping a heart, and usually surmounted by a crown. The elements of this symbol are often said to correspond to the qualities of love (the heart), friendship (the hands), and loyalty (the crown). The expression which was associated with these symbols in the giving of the ring was: "With my hands I give you my heart, and crown it with my love."


I am always searching the world wide web, books, magazines, catalogs, and designs/patterns in anything I see for inspiration on that next sewing project. I recently purchased a handful of craft magazines at our local Goodwill distribution warehouse. I was overwhelmed at the quantity of items to go through -- huge cardboard barrel type boxes with tons of printed materials to toss here and there while looking for items of interest.

Two years ago I started machine sewing my first quilt top. I completed 9 tops that year and also completed a king size yo-yo quilt by hand. (I will have to show pictures another time of some of them. They are packed away for an impending move -- going west!!)

A wonderful friend of mine (Judith) blessed my creative thoughts with a large plastic bag piled with 1 inch cotton strips and another piled with 2 1/2 inch cotton squares in an enormous variety of colors. Shown here in this log cabin designed block king size quilt top is a tiny indication of the wide spectrum of colors.

At first, I found myself intimidated in sewing such a small width. Soon, however, I was flying on the machine and a delight came over me of the color combinations I could use on each block.

Now I find I want to continue to add to this treasured gift. I am salvaging scrap pieces into strips and blocks. I am shopping for fabrics and certain colors to incorporate in the future.

I feel another sitting spell at the machine coming on. I hope you will take time to do the same if that is your creative pleasure.

1 comment:

  1. Your projects are lovely. When do you find the time to do so much? Thanks for the blog!

    ReplyDelete

Boden
New Lower Prices & Smaller, More Affordable Quantities @ Amy Adele!